Monday, February 27, 2012

The Most Interesting Man In The World

Nope, not this guy...

This is the guy...meet Lozza!

Well maybe not 'The Most Interesting Man In The World' but at least 'The Most Interesting Man In The Barossa'...so far! I work with this bloke Lozza. He is an Aborigine with a raging Aussie accent and calls everyone Mate, including me! He is a beekeeper from the nearby Adelaide Plains. Lozza is a small, dare I say petite, dark skinned man with a great wealth of knowledge and he taught me a little about how bees make honey. Now, I’ve always liked honey…on toast and in my tea, but I have never really known how honey is actually made until today. I guess I’ve just never thought about it. Have you? 

Fun facts according to Lozza:
-   - Females are workers, men are drones and drones don’t work
-   - Females collect nectar in their cheeks, fly back to the hive, deposit the nectar in the honeycomb then fan the nectar with their wings to evaporate the water thereby making honey
-   - Bees have wax glands to make honeycomb
-   - The queen bee is bigger and fatter because she is tended to and eats more
-   - Only one male mates with queen, his penis literally falls off in process and he dies…not sure if you would consider him lucky or unlucky?...you know what I mean!?
-   - The hive keeps a few male drones around just in case the current queen dies and the new queen needs a mate
-   - Lazzo only moves the hive at night, while the bees are sleeping, to new locations depending on what’s blooming
-   - Chemical sprays on canola seed decrease honey production
-   - Bees die after stinging and do attack butt first!



And the entire time he was explaining this all, I couldn't help by envision this bee :)

The next day, Lozza brought in some of his honey for everyone to enjoy and it was 'sweet as'! Cheers Lazzo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment