Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm a Survivor!

I survived my first week of night shift at the winery! Working 12-hour shifts from 7pm-7am isn't so bad. It's changing your sleep cycle and trying to sleep during the day that's the difficult part but I'm adjusting. The only other downside...it's cold at night!!! Other than that, it's actually a nice shift to work because I get see the sunset and sunrise and view the winery in a whole new light...and by light I mean those run by electricity :)

The tank farm at night

Tonight I emptied my first potter! Generally, you just have to open the bottom door and it all falls out but, as luck would have it, my potter was being stubborn and I had to rake it out.

Digging out the potter...difficult and awkward, not the best combination

I thought giving the potter a dirty look would make it cooperate...it didn't work :)

My badge of honor...I earned it!

I also met with the winemaker, Stephanie Dutton, and tasted some wines after pressing. This is where they decide what the end wine will potentially be and then decide where second fermentation should take place. For instance, we tasted a wine that had a strong tannin structure, intense fruit flavors and a rich mouth feel. They believe it will be Bin 389, which will be placed in new American oak for second fermentation. Another wine was lighter in style with pleasant floral and fruity aromas. It smelled 'pretty'. They think it will make St. Henri and will be mature in 50-year-old large, oak vats. Mind you, everything we tasted was an unfinished wine so it tastes very different from the final bottled product. It was all very interesting to see their decision process. It's tough to explain because even I don't understand all the intricacies but I'm learning. 

My reward!

P.S.
I got an inside tip from one of the winemakers that 2012 McLaren Vale fruit is looking exceptional! Not sure what the end product will be but I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment