Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Great Ocean Road



I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and was told I absolutely HAD to take the Great Ocean Road, which is Australia's most famous stretch of road that winds 250 km [151 miles] from Worrnambool to TorquayAnd it totally lives up to the hype! You pass dramatic views of the wild coastline, beautiful beaches and seaside towns and lush rainforest. Of course you can take the highway to shave off hours of driving but what fun would that be?! Roll down the windows and take in the sweet aromas of beach, gum and salt water and enjoy the ride!


And it begins...



There are plenty of sites to see along the way with many overnight accommodations. Unfortunately, I was on a time crunch so I only had one day to make it to Melbourne. I was warned not to drive at night because the kangaroos come out and can cause serious damage to your car. With all my stops, I made it from Mt. Gambier to Melbourne in 9 hours. If you took the highway, it would only take 5 but wouldn't be nearly as beautiful. My first stop was the Bay of Islands Coastal Park, just one of many lookout points along the way. 

For thousand of years, waves have relentlessly sculpted the soft rock into fascinating rock stacks, gorges and arches


Next...the Twelve Apostles. They are the best known rock formations in Victoria. Today their number has whittled down to six apostles which is visible from the viewing platforms but still worth a stop. 

Four or five apostles?

All 'twelve' apostles!

Or you can enjoy the coastline from the air with a helicopter tour


Then off to Melba Gully, a dense rainforest in the Great Otway National Park. I meandered along a Madsens Track which is a short hike of 1.5 km [about 30 minutes] following the Johanna River

The trail starts off well marked...

Starting to get less clear...

Now where do I go?! Oh and of course while I was on the 'trail'...alone, I heard the scariest thing! It sounded like the Predator and then, I swear, it laughed at me. I thought I might never be seen again. As you can tell, I made it out alive and came to find out later it was their Kookaburra bird. Talk about feeling silly!


Johanna River


Next stop…Cape Otway! The 14 km [about 8.5 miles] drive down to the lighthouse passes through beautiful forest with heaps of koalas hanging out of the trees close to the road. I didn’t climb up the lighthouse because there was an intimidating line and it cost $17 per person so I enjoyed the view from the hiking trail around the Cape for free!

 Trail around the Cape

 Sign before the trail...doesn't build much confidence, huh?

View from trail...if you look close enough you can see a naval ship passing by on the right


Lunch time!


On to Apollo Bay and dare I say, the most beautiful place along the Great Ocean Road! It has kept the charm of an old fishing town with beautiful rolling hills and quiet beaches. It has a good range of accommodations and restaurants with a low key vibe. So low key, most restaurants and cafes close down between 2 pm and 5:30 pm. Sorry no late lunches here! The only place to grab a bite is at the local food court which serves fish-n-chips.

Apollo Bay...probably top 5 favorite sounds!

Fishing boats


 Great Ocean Road through Apollo Bay with the rolling hills as a lovely backdrop

I wasn't lying

Laid-back but with a sense of humor...my kind of place!

 Lunch menu for the late comers like myself...

I went with the Fisherman's Basket for 1...and I had to pay extra for ketchup or correction, I mean 'tomato sauce'. I felt like I was in Europe again.


Off again…final stop Melbourne… 

 View on the way to Melbourne






No comments:

Post a Comment